About Me

My photo
Ash. Spiritual. Happy in my own way. Writes Random Stuff. Ice Cream. Night owl. Ice Cream, again.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Of Random Conversations with the Soul #1

Generally, What makes one Truly happy?

When someone asked me this question, I was surprised with myself when I realized I did not have an answer ready.I was listing out probabilities and possibilities, but I never found myself talking specifically.True, Not everyone has the same definition of happiness. For that matter, One person's definition of what happiness is, would not be the same throughout the course of his life. At every point, at every juncture the definitions would keep evolving.

In simpler words, A toddler is not bothered about how the stock markets are functioning and how the stocks in which his dad has invested are performing. He is more concerned about his Mom and Dad giving him all the attention possible. He is happy when he is pampered and given what he wants.

When I asked myself, What makes me happy, after thinking about the many ecstatic moments in my life I realized I had  to give it to those times when my wishes/needs/desires were fulfilled. I feel happy when I ask my parents for something and they fulfill it for me. And I feel even happier when they sense what is going on in my mind and fulfill it for me, even before I tell them.

I also feel happy when I do something significant and people take notice of it. It makes me feel important. it makes me feel worthy. What else can be a better boost to our self that feeling good about ourselves?

Having said so, I am not sure if the same definition would apply to all. If there is one thing that I have learnt, it is this : Never Ever Generalize. What might apply to a few might not apply to all. And there is a vast difference in 'a few' and 'all' . Being happy or feeling happy, is not just a state of mind. It is that feeling when you feel immensely content about your efforts for doing something, getting the results which you wanted and  feel that you truly deserve it. It is when you feel proud of your very presence and existence. It is that exhilarating moment when you feel nothing can ever take away that moment from you.

According to me, this is what it makes one happy. At least, this is what makes me happy!

P.S. I have not been in the best of my health. That is the reason for not being able to visit your blogs. I will definitely read all the posts that I missed. Really miss reading wonderful thoughts being expressed in an even wonderful way. Will be right back Guys!

39 comments:

  1. You take care of yourself and
    Get well soon!!!!

    Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm!!! when you feel content and proud of yourself...i agree wholeheartedly with that statement ash...when we truly take pride in ourselves we end up being happy all the time..external things..including people cease to have much of an effect on our inner happiness..and thats me by the way...and i am not generalizing as you advised- just sharing...get well soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Doc,It is when we truly take pride in showing who we are. Thank you ;-)

      Delete
  3. When our wishes are fulfilled and when we achieve something we do feel happy, but when we can make another person happy, we are truly happy. would you agree?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. I somehow missed writing about it. That has an even greater impact!

      Delete
  4. I agree with your definition of being happy. It's much more than a state of mind. Also it reminds of your article that was published in Hindu. It was a happy happy moment!

    Take care and don't work about the blogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was indeed a Happy moment :-). Thank you ;-)

      Delete
  5. Happiness is what your mind feels at that given moment. Get well soon Ash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly my thoughts Vaish. Thank you :-)

      Delete
  6. Happiness is more a state of our mind.The same circumstances or things makes us happy or otherwise depending on state of our mind.All the examples given in the post centred around you and the gratification of your desires.As Zephyr put it happiness is more when we bring a smile in others faces like in giving to the needy.Even simple things like a blooming flower, a drizzle, the coolth of early morning,the starlit sky, the giggle of a child or the fragrance of an incense stick from puja room makes one happy.
    Reading your post early in the morning brought smile in me and made me happy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with what you have said Sir,but these simple things makes us happy only when we are in a good state of mind. But when it comes to ourselves or those around us, irrespective of our state of mind, we always end up feeling happy.

      Delete
  7. there is unhappiness, unhappiness is caused by attachment, attachment is caused by delusion or ignorance, true happiness comes from working towards breaking free from that delusion or ignorance. the type of reflection you do as you pen your thoughts for your post is your working towards breaking free from that ignorance. all other pursuits of happiness are expressions of our humanness and the interplay of cause and effect. true happiness is the pursuit of liberation. i am merely rephrasing what has been said over and over by many before me. get well soon. let me know what you feel like reading and i will make it for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderfully said Sir. I liked the way you had framed the sentences. Agree, it is indeed the pursuit of liberation. Thank you.

      Delete
  8. Hey get well soon!

    What makes me truly happy is a sense of peace with myself and the world around me. And getting fancy gifts :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding Inner peace? Ha ha. Nice. thank you :-)

      Delete
  9. "It is when you feel proud of your very presence and existence. It is that exhilarating moment when you feel nothing can ever take away that moment from you."

    Couldn't have put it in a more beautiful way than this Ash. I have felt that moment too. Take care of your health. Wanna see you back sooner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. For this one, I rather feel happy reading everyone's opinions rather than mine :) Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone has their own, wonderful insights :-)

      Delete
  11. I am happy when I feel I am in control of things I go (No, am not a control freak, I prefer security over risk).. happy reading blogs, publishing blogs, anything to do with sports. Also, happy when my investments are doing well :D

    And get well soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. When we are in Control of our life, it makes us feel good. And investments, definitely :-)

      Delete
  12. Well I am happy when I do something as planned and feel proud of myself. But quite an insigthful post. You are writing a lot on abstract topics and you doing very well :-)

    get well soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww. thank you Jenny. I feel at home with abstract topics :-)

      Delete
  13. it is true when we are noticed , and appreciated it does make one happy. But then in the last 2 years I have learnt a lot and I am generally a happy man, I sleep fine at night and get up with a smile.

    I am happy when I am in my garden outside watching new life come ...

    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How are you doing now .. are you ok .. GET WELL SOOOON..

      Delete
    2. It's always nice to get up with a smile. You are indeed Blessed. And I'm much better, Thank you :-)

      Delete
  14. definition of happiness has always been the most difficult, As such it differs from person to person.

    take care Ashwini ...get well soon:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, It is subjective. Thank you :-)

      Delete
  15. Ah Ashwini!!! how to say this is exactly what my hubs keeps asking me :D Tell me what makes u happy and trust me :D in 3 yrs I have answered 300 different things every time he has asked me !!!!
    So :D frankly speaking I am still finding what makes me truly happy!!! very insightful post may be this will help in my quest to know what makes me truly happy.

    :D Hey get well soon and come back with good health and be back with a bang :D. Keep smiling ur illness will run away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all in pursuit of happyness, right? :-). It's true, sometimes we dont know what would make us happy, on an inner level.
      And thank you :-)

      Delete
  16. Ashwini, wish you feel fine and are well to indulge in whatever you love to do! I agree with you on the state of mind and happiness and how they are correlated.I would like to feel physically and mentally fine and other things for happiness just follow:) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rahul Sir :-). Yes I'm back to normal now. Thank you so much :-)

      Delete
  17. Hope you are well and happy now, Ash.

    You are quite right when you say that happiness means different things for different people. I am most happy when I am allowed TO BE. Sometimes when people think they can control my actions, routine, time and style, I become a bit cranky.

    Joy always,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Susan. Thank you, I'm doing good now :-)
      Exactly Susan, it is subjective and it means different things for different people.

      Delete
  18. Reminds me of Will Smith's classic Pursuit of happyness.. For him it was all about achievng his dreams.
    It s same for me!

    Again a thought provoking post. How you manage to write them one after another?

    I hope you are doing perfectly fine now.. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Prasoon :-)
      Yes, that was an amazing movie. I'm doing good now, thank you.

      And, It just happens you know :-). Thanks again :-)

      Delete

I would love to hear from You!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...