About Me

My Photo
Ash. Spiritual. Happy in my own way. Writes Random Stuff. Ice Cream. Night owl. Ice Cream, again.

Monday, December 16, 2013

The Curious Case of the Over Confident Being.

Sometimes, being over confident does have its own benefits.

Most of us take life too seriously. Some of us complicate it unnecessarily.

Some of us give more priority to those around us, wondering what they would think and how they would react, even before we think for ourselves or come to a decision.

Sometimes we hold ourselves back and let opportunities pass because we end up questioning our very own self.  We look around for numerous excuses and start the blame game and convince ourselves that we are not prepared for it.

Sometimes we don’t believe in our own self.

That’s when I feel that, sometimes being over confident is the way to go.

When we are just confident enough, there might be traces of doubt hovering at the back of our minds.
But when I see people who are over confident, after the initial Thank-God-I’m-Not-Over-Confident and Thank-God-I-Am-What-I-Am reaction, I wonder whether those people are really the smartest ones.

They think too highly of themselves and go about doing what they like, without having to question their abilities. They do not look for excuses to bank on, if at all they fail to achieve their purpose. They do not pay attention to what those around them have to say.  They take in what makes them stronger and refuse to even hear out those who don’t matter, even if they meant no ill will.

Sometimes I just wish I had their guts and their overwhelming belief in themselves.

Sometimes I wish I were over confident, so that I could check off a few items from my dream to-do list!

At the end of the day, they would be branded as the ‘over confident person’. But they would not be bothered by the tag that random strangers are associating them with. They walk away as the winner.

All said and done, when it comes to deciding when to be over confident and when not to be, you are the best judge.  


A good balance would definitely be the way to go. A good balance, if you manage to maintain. Else..


30 comments:

  1. Interesting post. I was just thinking about a person being over confident. Sometimes, these people are called arrogant. (Please read my next post to be published a few days. Thanks.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Arrogant and over-confident people go hand in hand. But are they really bothered by the tags? :-)

      Will surely read your post.

      Delete
  2. Fascinating point of view. I see where you are going. I think finding the right balance can be really hard. I think we should all strive for balance as for going the wrong way may lead to a downfall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-). All said, achieving a balance is one tough job indeed but nonetheless it is important.

      Delete
  3. As for me I move from over-confident to no-confidence like a sine wave. Well, it depends on the context actually. Some people do need the arrogance to kick up there confidence. Though, mostly they are ignorant overconfident dorks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is hard for people who are over confident to realize that they actually are. But that is indeed required, intially to kick up the confidence as you said.

      Delete
  4. I swing violently between over confidence and bouts of extreme questioning-my-abilities phases. And like you say, finding the balance and maintaining it is the key.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure all of us have been in that swing, at many times in our lives :-)

      Delete
  5. A good balance would indeed make life easier...
    Nice thought...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though it is tough to achieve, it would make life easier :-)

      Delete
  6. The easiest form of confidence is always the over-confidence, else its plain "No Idea" phase. I doubt if there is anything in between. I mean if you are confident you might as well be over-confident!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, people might hardly know the difference.

      Delete
  7. finding the middle way will sure help people :) being overconfident can work on one's side if they are smart enough to control it..
    Thoughtful observations. nyc post :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smart enough to control it, of course yes. But sometimes when pride takes over this smartness that problems arise :-)

      Delete
  8. Ashwini, trust me I wanted to right a post on similar lines. It has been on my mind for the past few days, I think I will forget what I wanted to write also. You are right..we need a balance between being over confident and confident.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise people do think alike ;-). Yes striking that right balance is important.

      Delete
  9. Where do we demarcate? I mean between confidence and the over dose part? A bench mark.
    I guess being confident would suffice as an admirable quality.
    Wont the over dose part create an illusion an invincible feeling, that you may refuse to acknowledge or fail to notice a vital chink in yourself vis a vis competition? I believe so,from experience and reason too.
    By the way it is best to ignore comments and trivialities dished out by others. As it is said unless they made the journey with us they cannot really be commenting upon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all comes down to an individual's decision and call. And yes, thought it would ultimately lead to one's downfall unless controlled, it would help us overcome certain apprehensions about ourselves.

      Delete
  10. Just the post I wanted to read at the moment ! Yes, balance is the key indeed !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Advanced Merry Christmas & Happy New Year greetings and also Thanks and Smiles:) for ur support till now Dear Blogger Buddy God<3U:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now I know the reasons of your self confidence Ashwini! May you attain greater heights with renewed overconfidence in the new year........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I learn to balance them Sir. Thank you :-)

      Delete
  13. Balance is the name of the game. Nice post Ashwini

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree. Not to stereotype here but in general south Indians tend to be a bit lower on confidence - being a South Indian myself I have experienced and many south Indians as well as north Indian friends have shared this observation with me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, at least for the initial stages we need to have that element of over confidence to set sail.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well I am a hybrid. Some deal with low confidence and sometimes over confidence. sometimes just confident.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a rare but a wonderful combination :-)

      Delete

I would love to hear from You!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...