About Me

My Photo
Ash. Spiritual. Happy in my own way. Writes Random Stuff. Ice Cream. Night owl. Ice Cream, again.

Monday, December 30, 2013

You know you are a blogger, If...



You know you are a blogger, If you've been asked at least one of the following questions ever since you added "Blogger" to the About me/Bio section in Social Media. Read on. 

Image Courtesy: FreeDigitalPhotos

1. So what do you blog about?

I’m sorry but I’m just recovering from the shock of being asked the ‘Tell me about yourself’ question yet again. Anyway, if you are looking for a simple one word answer, I would have to invent a word to convey the multitude of things that I blog about. I admire people who write on a particular theme. Since I’m not a professional full time blogger, I write about things in general. I write about things which people can mostly relate to. This is my standard reply. I’ve noticed that people are not impressed with this honest answer. For all of you, I’ll write a special post on what I blog about. Read that and let me know if there is one word for it.

2. Have you considered blogging about this?
So I was telling this acquaintance that I am a blogger and I was just getting started about what I blog about. He was all ears and seemed quite interested in knowing what I wrote. After some time the topic of conversation drifted to something else and suddenly he said ‘You should so blog about this’. I had to give an awkward smile and say thanks, but seriously dude did you at least listen to the words that came out of your mouth? Really?  It’s nice when people give us a prompt to write, but is it too much to ask them to use some common sense before they utter those words? 

3. How did you start blogging?
I’m surprised that people think I have a story about how I got to write my first post. Excuse me, I’m talking about a simple leisure activity. It’s not like a Bollywood hero’s entry in a film. It’s not that somebody has passed the baton and expects me to be the master of the game right from day 1. It’s not that I’ve always known that I would be a blogger and I would just have to wait for a good way to start. No, it’s just too simple. I was bored and I wanted to try something. Stop watching all those films and stop expecting everything to have a fairy tale touch.  Stop embarrassing me when I give you the answer and you keep looking for more explanation from me.

4. What motivates you to keep blogging?
I once asked a friend what kind of an image a blogger depicts. She said that in her mind a blogger was someone who spent time reading and travelling and doing things that interest them. She added that she felt a blogger was someone who would spend time looking around and marveling at nature and express the beautiful vision that their eyes look at, in the form of words.  So she argued that motivation wouldn’t be a problem.

I had to jolt my friend to get her back to reality and explain that I had a job which unfortunately did not allow me to just gaze at the sky or stare aimlessly at the scenery. I couldn’t digest the fact that motivation could come so easily. There were days where I would write almost 700 words in an hour. But there were also days when I could hardly write more than 10 words in an hour.  But I’ve never realized when exactly the words flow freely. It is completely random.

5. You aren’t going to blog about this right?
I was asked this question once when I was seated with 10 others who were deep in conversation and I was uninterested in what they were speaking.  The words of someone from the group struck a chord and I could relate to an idea to blog about. It was completely different from the topic they were discussing about. I smiled to myself made a note of it in my phone. I then realize everyone is looking at me and they’re questioning the reason for my smile.  They asked if I was going to blog about that? Duh. Yes, I’m so demotivated that I’m looking to write some rubbish and post it on my blog. Please, my blog deserves more respect than that.
 
Image Courtesy: FreeDigitalPhotos
6. How do you come up with ideas?
Honestly I’m no Newton.  But if I have to lie down under an apple tree to get ideas, I would gladly oblige. How I wish it were as simple as that.  Every time someone asks me about how I come up with ideas to blog about, I mentally visualize myself giving the expression which Kamal Hassan gives in Nayagan when being asked if he is a good person or a bad person. I just don’t know.

7. How often do you blog?
It would be wonderful if I could blog every day. Reality is far from that though.  Forget about blogging every day, I find it difficult to blog even once a week because of many factors and laziness and distraction from social media being the topmost ones. Whenever I’m asked this question I give a worst-case scenario answer, just to be on the safer side. So that even if I’ve not blogged for 6 months, and the person asks me about it, I can give the I-told-you-about-It look, rather than giving the I’m-sorry-I-did-not-blog-enough-make-me-feel-guilty-all-the-more look.

8. Have you considered writing for a social cause? You should start right away.
There are people who are genuinely involved with a lot of social causes and I have so much of respect for them. When they suggest writing for a social cause, I give them a very honest but a toned-down answer on why I’m not interested in those lines, because I truly believe that this should come from within and not be forced. Persuaded, yes but not forced. I’m not talking about these genuine souls here
I’m talking of those who think it’s cool to be involved in some social activity only to post updates and pictures about it on social media. Today being active for a social cause seems to be more of a style statement and when those kinds of people come and tell me to take up volunteering by writing about it; I convey my opinion loud and clear.  People have different interests and being forced to volunteer for a social cause is just not what I would like to do. Simple.

So, have you been asked the same questions? What were you answers for those questions?  Any other interesting question that has been thrown at you? Do share it here :-)



52 comments:

  1. Haha.. Yes I have faced a few of them too.. especially 1, 2 and 4 :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, so true,
    WHAT'S THE POINT IN BLOGGING, ITS NOT MANY PEOPLE WOULD READ THEM?
    HOW ABOUT I GIVE YOU A TOPIC, YOU THINK YOU WILL WRITE ON THAT?
    FROM WHERE DO YOU GET IDEAS TO WRITE.?
    WHY DON'T YOU WRITE 'UR OPINION' IN THE NEWSPAPER?
    and what not shit..:P
    i mean, its simple thing- you love writing, so you write. no explanations needed. which i think is too difficult for people to understand..:P
    Nice post..:)
    p.s: it was newton who lied down under the apple tree, einstein was born almost 2 centuries later..:P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for pointing it out. I cant believe I actually wrote that :-D

      Leave asking them to write on a topic, ask them to write on anything they feel like. Only then they'll know how much goes into writing :-)

      Some people find the simplest of answers either difficult or to simple to be true. Can't help it!

      Delete
  3. People asked so many lame questions to irritate you but that eventually helped you to write a beautiful post! Cheers to that Ashwini :)
    And well observed Jemina...it was actually Newton. If you were Einstein, you would probably have to spend ur whole life in lab. No time to sleep under an apple tree then... :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thanks to all those people, and thanks to my meticulous habit of writing down things as and when it happens, I was able to come up with this post :-)

      Delete
  4. Interesting. I have had friends tell me to "take this pic in this angle or that pic in that angle so that it will look good on your blog". My mind will be thinking "did I ask you for advice?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I'll be like, I'm sorry I dont remember asking for advice or your review. Some people!

      Delete
  5. I face one more, difficult, question. People ask me, 'What do you do?' and I reply I am a 'Professional Blogger'. They are stunned for a moment and they want to ask so many things, but for courtesy's sake, they just ask - 'How do you manage to eat?' or something similar. I tell them that poverty is a great motivator for writers. They (generally) won't be able to take any more... :P

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. They dont realize that they were trolled. Serves them right :-)

      Delete
  6. haha...ditto same problems... :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, we're all bloggers of a kind :-)

      Delete
  7. Could not agree more, Ashwini as I too feel the same way about blogging:) Wishing you a great New Year ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sir. Happy New year to you :-)

      Delete
  8. Well framed, Ashwini! You summed it up. People do tend to have a lot of questions about bloggers and as one, we have to face them. I have myself been asked many of these by so many people including relatives. What irks me sometimes is that they are not interested in the core content of our blog but the other things. Many a times I can't help but wonder - Have they even read my blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've faced it many times Arti. I'm surprised that our kith and kin (some of them) fail to feel genuinely happy for us for once and go on asking endless questions.

      Delete
  9. Hahaha been through this :)

    I agree withe every point mentioned here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So so true... which is why I don't tell people that I blog. Everyone who knows I blog, know it without me having told them :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now why didn't I think of staying anonymous. I'm sure it wouldnt have made a difference in my case ;-)

      Delete
  11. Yes, have suffered some of them too :). Especially that one about don't blog about this like this is all I do, write about mundane topics :). Wish you a Happy New Year, Ashwini!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Rachna Parmar being asked all these questions? I'm actually happy that I've faced a few questions that you have ;-). Happy New Year :-)

      Delete
  12. Agree . You cannot blog or engage in an activity that doesn't strike q chord with you. Your point on being inspired by an idea from a passing conversation is quite true, I guess

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha..hilarious but true..I'm blogging for a few months only. Last week went for a vacation with my friends and didn't post the photos on Facebook. ( actually I was busy)....the SMS reads " Saving the photos for your blog ?"..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. This happened to me also. I was away on a Holiday and seeing that I had not posted pictures on Facebook, as if that was the default thing to do, my friend asks "So, we get to see all the pics only in your blog?".Cheers :-)

      Delete
  14. You know not many people that I know,know that I am a blogger. And the first qn that comes is,what do you blog about? Well,I think it's natural to be curious, so I say, random stuff and smile :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really a tough one to answer. Been there :-)

      Delete
  15. In my case, the moment I say I have a photo blog, I get a barrage of questions on the equipment I use and comparison with theirs, which I find utterly boring. IMO photography has very little to do with camera and lenses but more with framing and composition. Thanks for dropping by my blog. Hope you have a great year ahead. I wish I could write as crisply as you. Am a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Shiju :-) Nice to see you here. And thanks for the compliment, that's something I've been trying and getting there only now.

      This comparison is really irritating. It all depends on what you see and the way you capture it. It doesnt necessarily depend on the instrument and its cost alone, it all depends on the person who handles it.

      Delete
  16. Hey Ashwini..just saw your comment on my blog..didn't know if you looked at replied comments...I don't think there are any rules...just go ahead and write your 11 things list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the clarification :-) Will put up a post soon :-)

      Delete
  17. Someone asked me "Is this your passion or your hobby?" and even "Do you have your own site?"-- Well, I wonder do they really ask you questions because they just Have to??
    A very well and a true post! :) And yes, wish you a lovely New Year ahead! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, sometimes the questions seem as though they ask something just because they have to.

      Happy New Year :-)

      Delete
  18. Hey where is my comment?
    Just check your spam folder, sometimes it happens.
    Happy New Year Ashwini!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked Rama, I'm not sure what happened. Some problem I guess.

      Happy New Year ;-)

      Delete
  19. I found it very thought provoking... hmm... things to ponder...
    Anyway...Wish you a very happy new year :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This post has been selected for the Tangy Tuesday Picks this week. Thank You for an amazing post! Cheers! Keep Blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. A nice post Ashwini - Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. that was a nice list. Thankfully, none of my real life friends know that I blog, so I am kinda safe :) I have not been bombarded with any of these questions. But I can imagine how irritating it would be if someone asked me these.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Man!!!! Those are the questions!! Awesome write up! twas fun reading it! :)
    I am asked some additional questions too!
    Why do you write so long? Don't you get bored?
    Why do you write?

    Thanks for this!! :)

    Check out mine too :D
    http://the-cheesy-engineer.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. Only a blogger will be able to relate well to this. Will surely check it up :-)

      Delete
  24. The first question people ask me when I say I am a blogger - "Really? So do you earn from blogging or just a blogger.." Since I dont earn, I fall into the "just a blogger" category. For them, that's something not worth the time! hehe.. However, things are changing and for the better for bloggers..

    Nice post Ashwini.. Deserves due recognition! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people give such a demeaning look, it's so annoying. What will those money-minded heads know about the joy of reading and writing wonderful articles :-)

      Delete

I would love to hear from You!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...