About Me

My Photo
Ash. Spiritual. Happy in my own way. Writes Random Stuff. Ice Cream. Night owl. Ice Cream, again.

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Shopping Escapades and More!

I've always wondered how people come up with memes and jokes when it comes to women and shopping. I've come across a handful and I've never been able to relate to them.  So I assume that, as is the case in many instances, people exaggerate simple things and come up with these jokes. Now, I'm a person with a good sense of humor and if I find it funny, I enjoy them rather than wondering how people could make fun of such simple things.

I think the main reason for not being able to relate to this is that, when I'm in the mood for some serious shopping, I go either with my sister or my mom. If both of them aren't available, I'd go alone. No one else is allowed when I'm on that serious mode. Something tells me, that when you're reading this you tend to go 'Aww' with a sense of pity and that you are painting a picture of someone lonely, longing for company, wishing that someone was there to accompany me. Sorry to break your bubble but my shopping alone experience is so much fun. Now that is for another day.

Image Courtesy : FreeDigitalPhotos

Thanks to the Festive Season Sale, New Year Sale, Clearance Sale, Good-For-Nothing Sale, Increase-price-by-100%-and-offer-50%-discount Sale and Because-no-one-else-is-buying-these-clothes Sale (you get the drift, I assume), in the past few weeks I've been running from store to store to see what's worth buying. And, amidst the running around, I realize all those jokes about women and shopping are so true. Perhaps I was an exception. Let me elaborate.

When you're shopping you can find broadly two sets of people. One set, who are on their own looking at the various displays. And then there is the other set who keep talking loudly about what they want and give the sales associates a very hard time, apart from irritating the others who are shopping. I've seen people argue about slight differences in the shade of a particular color, especially when they're mixing-n-matching. I've seen people try dresses on and on for almost an hour, block the trial room and go back empty handed, saying nothing is worth buying there. I've seen people asking for a sample of a different color in a particular design. I've seen people, whose mannerisms would probably suggest that they're out to splurge, only to leave with the most inexpensive item in the entire store. In short, I've seen it all.

Having accompanied my mother in a few of her shopping sprees when I was young, I guess her trait has passed on to me. Before stepping out, I always make a list of things to buy (I have an OCD on making lists!) so that I know what to look for. I ensure it is flexible enough so that I can makes changes as and when shopping, at the same time making space for a few last minute surprises at the store. Once the main part of the shopping is done, if time permits I take a stroll and enjoy the window shopping. But I wouldn't barge into a store and demand the attention of all the sales associates present and give them a tough time and walk away empty handed.  I remember stepping into a store with a friend with no intention of buying and still picking up something nice.

So being a part of such an organized and flexible shopping mode, I was surprised to see all the jokes being played live for me. I was able to empathize with all the men and women (oh yes!) who had to bear the brunt of accompanying someone who had absolutely no idea of what to get and spends one hour for one dress. But one aspect of the said jokes were indeed false, the exaggeration, which stereotyped that all women followed that horrible way of shopping. In fact among people I know there are many like me who are done with their shopping in record time and there are a few others who take the long route. Since I’ve stated that I'm a person with a good sense of humor, instead of proving people wrong about their generic assumption, I'd rather have a good laugh.

Yesterday, when I was shopping in yet-another-store-that-had-a Sale I overheard this woman asking a sales associate,

"Excuse me, do you have a darker shade of black"

I couldn't help laughing!


So what are your shopping experiences?

44 comments:

  1. Ooh excellent article. I'm a very quick shopper. Unfortunately my two best friends are ridiculously slow in buying anything at all. It's a real pain when someone says all women take so long in deciding what to buy. It's being confident about what you want to wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. It's about being confident of one's choices too!.

      Delete
  2. hahaha Have experienced all of the above on some level. I personally shop very quickly. I don't try 10 different places. I buy something I like. And these days, I do a lot of online shopping. But some women can drive you up the wall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it, Rachna. There are so many people who would make you hate shopping. But, good for us :-)

      Delete
  3. Excellent post. I liked it very much. I know very well what you have described. However, I am very lucky. My wife will decide within 10 minutes which Kancheepuram silk saree to buy. She always goes to this one particular famous store. Very rarely she goes and “shop” in many stores or take a long time to decide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, so many women are such quick shoppers and I can't understand where the generalization comes from ;-)

      Delete
  4. Once, some years back, me and my friend were pushed into shopping by our parents. I looked at two shirts and selected one of them. He looked at one shirt and selected that one. You can guess how much time we would have spent in that shop. No wonder I didn't have to go to shops/malls for shopping, after that!

    Destination Infinity
    PS: Blacks do come in different shades :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, men shop faster than the speed of light ;-)

      And, When black comes in different shades, they have different names like grey and so on. That would mainly be the addition of white. But I was told there cannot be something darker than black.

      Delete
  5. Going to different stores is the actual cause of cause of confusion, time waste and useless buying. I try to stick to one store. I could relate to your situation in many ways. Good read. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-). It would be nice to visit different stores to get an idea, but when our mind is fixed on something, better to stick to just one :-)

      Delete
  6. I am in sync with you for making lists and not bothering sales assistants, instead I prefer they dont come after me..I like to brows myself and decide without suggestions:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, most of the times I prefer to be left alone and call them only when I've tried my best and still unable to find some information that is required.

      Delete
  7. I love shopping, except when it comes to Lingerie shopping with MOM.. "Bhai saab meri beti ke liye ye Bra perfect hai?" :O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. People around us can be a bit embarrassing at times :-D

      Delete
  8. Yes, even I have experienced all what you have mentioned. And I like making lists! :)
    correct observations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Once I went shopping with a cousin of my husband. Gawwddd....I swore in life I wouldn't ever do that mistake and didn't repeat it till date. She brought down all the dresses in the store and yet doesn't like anything. I enjoy self shopping...rather I like to go by myself than with others because I don't have time constraints :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. That is why I prefer to shop with mom/sis coz they know my taste. If they're not available, I'd rather go alone and pamper myself :-)

      Delete
  10. The kind who shop soon, the kind who take time to do so and then there is third kind- who send their bfs for shopping..:P
    There was this one time when I was out shopping with a friend and a boy gets in the boutique asking the sales girl for a B for his girlfriend. Imagine how embarrassing can that be. :P bechara had to pick up fancy colors as he took directions from his 'I-think-g.f' on phone..:P
    by the way, nyc post Ash..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, This is heights! Why would anyone in their right minds do that!

      Thanks a lot :-)

      Delete
  11. Although I try to plan my shopping and prepare with sales and coupons, I cannot always say I am the best at it. I do love shopping and sometimes I score well. Hey after all I did get two stunning little black dresses with a total of $98 last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. That's actually a talent, to have an eye for the best among the lot ;-)

      Delete
  12. The last matter first. Yes indeed there are different shades of black.
    You have bared the different kinds of shoppers and the would be ones, the window shoppers.
    As for me I'm worried to be with women who love to just window shop- in fact they do not simply confine by windows but spends time inside and seeing and enjoying. Its a bad day to be trapped with such folks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anil for bringing that up. When I asked someone the same question, they said that black with small quantities of white has different names like grey (and others on the greyscale) and that there cannot be anything typically darker than black. I'll probably have to verify it again.

      That is indeed a bad day. One should know where to draw the line when it comes to window shopping!

      Delete
  13. "And then there is the other set who keep talking loudly about what they want and give the sales associates a very hard time, apart from irritating the others who are shopping." Hahah!! So true! Lovely post! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot :-) . I hate those who give the sales people a hard time when they're not actually shopping for buying.

      Delete
  14. haha :) I usually buy something if I like it and leave the shop. I don't keep trying dresses and staring at the mirror to see how I look etc. I once went with a friend and was so exhausted since she kept hopping from one store to another without buying anything. Very frustrating to shop with such people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Indeed. Somehow I can make up my mind quickly without having to try all the dresses that the eyes can see.

      Delete
  15. Ashwini, if you jot down a list of things to buy, then you are part of the "others" list. Honestly. Because the jokes are not just jokes / exaggeration. For some men / women, they are plain facts written in a humorous manner. :D

    Thankfully, my wife shops quickly. A quick look at the sale %, our budget and the quality of the product. And we are done. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I can understand that you must have had some bad experiences :-). But sometimes I do feel the jokes are so very true, despite being a part of the 'others' list :-)

      Delete
  16. Nice read, Ash. I enjoy shopping with my mom or else I shop alone. That way it's easier for me to decide on things else I get confused with many people all with different opinions. I am picky but not finicky and I love making lists too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-) And see we both are similar in this aspect too :-)

      Delete
  17. I have done all of them, i mean going to various shops trying and coming out without buying, finishing my shopping within 10 minutes, window shopping, buying something not in the list etc. In fact when after being shown many I still don't like buying anything, I feel very sorry and even apologise to them for having wasted their time, and they don't feel bad, for they assure me that they are simply doing their duty, and unless I was showed everything, how can they feel satisfied that I was satisfied
    I don't like online shopping for my clothes, and I also don't like stores where there are same patterns in the same colors or different colors. That is why I like to roam around, look at many small and big shops ad buy something which I am sure nobody would have( like it would be yeh tho ek hi pees hai maam).
    And believe me there are different shades of black, I always carry the black piece I want to match with, before buying anything in black.
    I also like to shop alone, no husband waiting, no friend bugging, nobody to bulldoze me into buying something I don't like. Of course there are times when i have shopped with like minded people and had good fum shopping.
    With the coming of the malls, people like me can go on week days and try to their heart's content and come off without buying anything, for neither am I obliged to buy, nor am I blocking the trial room
    I have been planning to go shopping, but the weather is too hot to venture out anywhere..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for spending time here to share your thoughts Rama. Appreciate this :-)

      Yes, I'm beginning to question my source of information about the shades of black :-). It's nice that you apologize when you feel you've wasted their time, people would like to know that their time is not taken for granted, be it a CEO or a simple sales assistant. And nice to see you've been there, everywhere :-)

      Delete
  18. LOL :D Yes, have seen all these types and many more too!! I prefer shopping on my own or a like minded friend. And I am list person too... cant shop without a list!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tell me about it :)

    I love shopping and I have seen it all!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Interesting topic you have chosen. Guess there are stereotypes in everything. By the way, seeing the topic I thought you were writing for the Blogadda contest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are! Sweeping generalizations that are actually not true :-). And trust me, if it had been for a contest, I'm not sure I could have forced these thoughts down :-)

      Delete
  21. I absolutely love shopping alone... its the most fun! No one to stop you from going where you want to and buying what you want to! Though I love taking my mum along as well :)

    Do stop by my blog too! Been a while!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Exactly my sentiments. And sure :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. When I see big sales, I think of huge loss shopkeeper has to suffer if I buy them, hence I stay away

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But, we would be generating some income right? ;-)

      Delete

I would love to hear from You!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...