About Me

My Photo
Ash. Spiritual. Happy in my own way. Writes Random Stuff. Ice Cream. Night owl. Ice Cream, again.

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Challenge Accepted!


There is something about the way Barney Stinson says ‘Challenge Accepted’.

I was never a lets-take-up-a-challenge-just-for-fun person. I used to be content with what I do, and unless I see the need to take up something and unless it is essential I never venture into anything new for the sake of it. It so happened that even without my realizing it, I was stuck in a routine. Weekdays – work. Weekends – Shopping, Movies, Eating out, Hanging out with friends or I occupy myself with something to do at home. I can never remain idle, so I ensure I am occupied some way or the other. And one day, all of a sudden, I wanted to do something new.

Image Courtesy : FreeDigitalPhotos


The more I thought of it, the more I found myself getting excited at the prospect of taking up a challenge. For quite some time I’d been settled comfortably and the impulsive decision seemed more than welcome. I wanted to challenge myself and see how far I could push myself on an unfamiliar territory. I was looking for some change too. Fortunately, interesting conversations from the past with interesting people replayed in my mind and I was all set. Not one, not two, but three challenges.

No, I’m not being the jack of all trades. Two challenges are related and the third is completely different. It does demand time but I’ve been able to push it into my schedule without much hassle. It’s been almost 6 months with the challenges and I’m surprised at how easily I’ve adapted myself to extra action items on my agenda. (Ah, work based terms have stealthily crept in)

I did myself a favor by challenging myself and not competing with anyone. I was surprised to see how I could push myself and how the initial excitement did not fade as the days passed. There was a thrill, of trying something new and staying dedicated to the action plan without anyone having to tell me so. Normally I try and relax (read waste time) during the weekends because of the amount of travel involved during the weekdays (60kms during peak traffic hours). Now I have an action packed weekend which is organized in a particular way and the best part is, it still gives me the me-time that I would never compromise. If there was anyone who was surprised the most, it definitely should be me. I never thought I would be taking up any of this and managing them and here I am.

I still have miles to go to, but the experience is thrilling. Currently, I’m focusing on the journey and not the destination and perhaps for the first time I’ve realized how beautiful the journey is, and how it has taught me more about myself, so much so that my eyes are not focused only on the finishing line, but at the immediate future as well. It’s almost like redefining the person you thought you were. It has been such a boost for my morale, considering the hectic activities going around me.

They say we never stop learning. Yes. It holds true even for our own self. We never stop learning what we are capable of. Better now than never.

Coming soon: More about the Challenges. Stay tuned! :-)

40 comments:

  1. Nice build up. Waiting for the next post to find out what are those 3 challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like incomplete posts have become a style-statement these days! :)

    Destination Infinity
    PS: I should also try this art form :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I was merely waiting for the right time to tell what the challenge was about :-)

      Delete
  3. I am pleased with the way you see things and set challenges for yourself.It is not the outcome but the very journey as put it in dong different and challenging things is itself the reward.You come out a better person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you KP Sir :-). After a point, we realize that the best competition would be the one where we challenge ourselves!

      Delete
  4. That was very heartening to read Ashwini :) I can imagine how much fun it should have been to try new things especially amidst a hectic schedule and the the feeling of happiness that comes out of accomplishing it too!
    This stage of life is one of the best .. Single and working with no domestic responsibilities :) I had the same feelings that you have expressed here when I started blogging as a new activity 2 years back. It was always like a breadth of fresh air in between all the hum drum.
    I really like the heartfelt tone of your posts. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Aarthy :-)

      It feels so good to be able to spend some time away from the hectic schedules and deadlines, specially on something challenging :-)

      Thanks again :-)

      Delete
  5. That was a pretty self analysis. I appreciate your vigour. Looking ahead with eagerness is in itself taking the bull by the horn - a challenge. isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anil :-) Yes, hoping for the best and looking for inspiration from within.

      Delete
  6. Lovely message, lovely post. Trying out something new is always so exciting and when coupled with learning, we add a whole new dimension of meaning to the frame. Look forward to read more about your challenges, Ash! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally, I never thought I'd be taking up such a challenge in the first place! Thanks Arti :-)

      Delete
  7. All the best and GO FOR ITttttttttttt...

    and let me tell you something that in todays world we cant afford to sit and let things be .. one has to take up some sort of challenge and .. this also helps in inventing ourselves all the time ..

    and This is a true thing, after reading this post I have suddenly made up my mind to do something.. your post did it .. I am planning to change completely something that I have been working for the last over a decade :) yesssss time for a change .. what it is , maybe tell later if i succeed.. so thank you for helping me make that decision


    Bikram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Bikram :-)

      Yes, it's always nice to be busy than to be idle. I'm really happy that this post helped you in some small way. Good luck and Go for it :-)

      Delete
  8. What are those challenges? Share some insights as in most of the cases, the excitement dies. And you said, yours didn't. I want to know how and why...

    Waste time, heheheee...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will post one this week. The main challenge. The others aren't that important :-D

      Delete
    2. Ok, got it :) It's a remarkable achievement as I said yesterday.

      Delete
  9. All the best, Ashwini :-) :-) I am waiting to hear more of these challenges ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. When you accept a challenge...that is half the work done right there!!
    Best of luck with everything that you are upto! :)
    What is life anyway without the challenges! Waiting for the next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is Life without a challenge or two! Yes :-)

      Thank you :-)

      Delete
  11. I am eager to know what those challenges were :) Good luck on completing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm eager to write about it too. Waiting to pass the final test in the first challenge :-) Thank you :-)

      Delete
  12. I would like to know what happened to the three challenges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One is almost on the verge of being completed :-).

      Delete
  13. That's awesome. Stepping out of comfort zones every now and then is a must for all of us. In fact we must keep asking this question to ourselves, very 15-30 days, "When was the last time I did something for the first time!" Glad you did just that. Keen to know more about your challenges :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said Shilpa! We've to keep asking that question to ourselves constantly, and try new things :-)

      Delete
  14. Interested in knowing what the challenges are. But whatever they are, lovely to know that you are sticking with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming soon. Tomorrow is the day :-)

      Delete
  15. how true- one indeed never stop learning... :)
    It's a good thing that you are focusing on yourself. one should keep doing that..
    waiting for the next part to read about the challenges ..(the jerk that I am I might copy you and take them up as well :P (winks)
    Good luck Ash,..:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. No, that would not be copying. That would be you taking up something, inspired by this post :-D. This sounds better right? ;-)

    Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The magic happens when we step out of our comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nothing like the euphoria of taking up new challenges. Way to go, Ashwini!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! I like the spirit!
    Wishing you luck with your new challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds exciting and if you find it enjoyable, then what else is needed!! Best of luck and looking forward to reading more about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said. Enjoyed every bit of it :-)

      Delete

I would love to hear from You!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...