About Me

My photo
Ash. Spiritual. Happy in my own way. Writes Random Stuff. Ice Cream. Night owl. Ice Cream, again.

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

4 Years and Counting...!

What a journey it's been so far! :-) 

It's been 4 years since I stepped into the corporate world. I remember by first day very well. Mom and Dad dropped me at our Training Center and I stepped into the building with a bunch of documents and a truckload of dreams. And here I am, 4 years later, standing with considerable satisfaction looking back at how things have gone so far, how incredibly lucky I’ve been and looking ahead, looking forward to the rest of the journey.

Image Courtesy : FreeDigitalPhotos
Over the 4 years, I’ve switched between teams and this is my 3rd team.  I’ve jumped to completely different streams, which is not quite common in a predominantly technical oriented organization. I started off as a developer in Java (hey, I am an oracle certified programmer in Java!). After a year of working in Java, as much as I got to learn I got bored because I knew I’d have to keep doing the same thing over and again and I moved to a non-technical role. I had to take up an interview and some written tests and then I was ready to become a Technical writer.

I moved from a Customer role to a Corporate function and I was blown away by the exposure and the network of people I got to talk to. It was here that I had started conducting soft skills sessions (a part- time faculty) and I enjoyed conducting all those interactive sessions.  2 years into that role and I realized there was nothing more I could do anymore, and after it was clear to be that there was no proper career path from there, I jumped to another team. A team that was formed just recently and I was lucky enough to find a place there.  I’m currently a content writer of sorts and I’m looking forward to what’s in store for me.

It’s been a wonderful journey so far, and I’ve been extremely lucky. I use the word ‘Lucky’ a lot because it’s being in the right place and the right time and meeting the right people that has got me here. In an organization as big as ours, to move into a non-technical role and still find opportunities for growth and options to choose from is slightly challenging and I’m glad I did have options. I met the right people who told me about many aspects of the organization that most people wouldn’t have been aware of. I got to know someone because I had to shift my workstation from one block to another and my new next-cubicle acquaintance was impressed (I think!) with my blogs and after a few discussion I was in her team. It just clicked.

And how exactly did it click? People believed me and entrusted me with work. I’m not sure if I’m properly qualified to do the work that I’m doing/I’ve done. It was the belief that people had in me, and the opportunity that they had given me that has brought me here. I’ve worked with some incredible people and teams and it’s been such a great learning experience. Beyond a point, I realized that more than the qualifications it’s our attitude that matters the most. Being in a communication field, attitude and people skills definitely add to our advantage.

I know I am happy, because I don’t hate Mondays. I am as excited about my work as I am about my blog and oven. My work isn’t monotonous. I get to be creative, but with a deadline. That’s ok because I at least get to showcase something which I think, I think, I am decently good at :-). I’m really not sure what the future has in store for me as Heaven hides from its creature the holy book of fate, but whatever it is I am excitedly looking forward.


Cheers!  


27 comments:

  1. You are lucky because you are passionate about your work! quite a few people are happy about this corporate world, many others get carried away by others words that this corporate world is hectic... this post shows how much you love your work.. that is the key... wishing you a glorious carrier ahead... all the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing.. :)
    CONTEST TIME:

    Check out my new post and leave an answer for the question asked in the comments section. The best answer will win Amazon voucher worth INR 750/-
    Last date: 26th November 2015. - 11 pm IST
    Contest partners: Tata Motors.
    http://www.fashionablefoodz.com/my-inspiration/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved when you said, that you know you are happy because you don't hate Mondays (hi5)
    I hope you keep having fun and doing what you love so much..:D
    Regards..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Hi-Fi :-)

      I hope I get to have even more fun :-)

      Delete
  4. I am not sure if our job is supposed to make us happy. Is it supposed to? Isn't that what leisure is for?

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many Congratulations dear Ash. A pleasure to stop by and read your words.

    Best,
    Susan Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, you must be really lucky because the people and the environment aided you as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, of what use is passion when you dont have the right environment that would help us build our skills!

      Delete
  7. It is the. attitude that makes all the difference! Am sure you will climb the ladders of success fast:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rahul Sir :-) Trust you're feeling better :-)

      Delete
  8. Congratulations. You have positive attitude towards life and with that you enjoy and achieve success wherever you go.

    Hi-fi, even I am one who doesn't hate Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi-fi :-)

      Thank you Saru :-) Attitude definitely helps, doesn't it? :-)

      Delete
  9. Wow,just what i have known all along.It is not merely being at the right place at the right time but also your clear thinking and astute choices that have brought you here.Keep going Ashwini.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Indu ji :-) I should say, I have been very lucky yo come across the right set of people, without whom my choices and decisions wouldn't have made sense. Thank you :-)

      Delete
  10. A wonderful journey, somewhat like mine. Happy for you! Congratulations and Keep rocking!

    I am sure if we all work with Passion, there would be no Monday blues :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alok :-)

      And yes, some of us are lucky that we dont have to face the Monday Blues :-)

      Delete
  11. Wow , congratulation. Not everyone gets sp lucky with a role change like this at work :) All the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-). I understand how Lucky I've been :-)

      Delete
  12. I believe in the dictum that "a stone fir fur the wall will never be found in the way."Talented people are grabbed.Little wonder you are in different teams,technical and non-technical.Best wishes!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from You!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...