About Me

My photo
Ash. Spiritual. Happy in my own way. Writes Random Stuff. Ice Cream. Night owl. Ice Cream, again.

Monday, July 25, 2016

Playing with the flow of thoughts!

I hate interruptions.

As much as I’m known for my ability to speak for a considerable period of time in a conversation, I ensure I take a pause every now and then. It gives them a breathing space to assimilate my messages. However I simply hate it when I’m explaining something and people keep asking 101 questions even without having the patience to listen to what I’m trying to say. Most questions would’ve been completely avoided if they hadn't interrupted and paid attention to what I was saying.

In my previous role at work, I was a part-time soft skills trainer. As much as I loved conducting training sessions, there were a few things which used to put me off, though I eventually learned to handle them. I always say that people can ask questions during the course of the session and don't have to wait till the end of the session. I assumed that people would at least hear me out and let me finish a point before jumping into their own conclusions and throwing questions at me. I understand people want to get their doubts cleared, but at least let the other person complete their sentence? It’s just like how Google sometimes doesn't even allow you to complete typing your query and throws pages after pages of what it thinks you are looking for! Sigh. Am I asking too much?

I hate interruptions while writing too.

No, not the I-need-to-cut-off-human-contact-till-I-write-a-blog interruptions. I'm happy writing on anything that doesn’t throw notifications every now on the pretext of trying to help you and the red squiggly lines that appear on the screen, courtesy Microsoft office. It's one thing when you’re trying to type as fast as you can and convert the rapid flow of thoughts to words, and it’s another thing when your word processor keeps pinpointing all the mistakes (Oh for God’s sake let me just write down all of that before I forget the context!) trying to distract your attention. You know the system is trying to make things simpler, but sometimes it just doesn't work. 

One fine day, I noticed something which happened to be a panacea of sorts. It had been there all along right in front of my eyes and I had conveniently overlooked it. 

Hello Notepad!

Life has been amazing ever since I started writing in Notepad. I can focus just on what I want to write and customise the font styles in a single click, I don't have to worry about the annoying indents and spaces and the numbered lists and of course the red lines. I keep typing on and on till I have converted all my thoughts into words unmindful of the typos or grammar or words that couldn't make it to the screen in the process of transfer. And you know what, it makes a world of a difference to the way I write. It’s like I can just go on without an interruptions and the flow of thoughts is just amazing. Sometimes I wish I could type faster because to keep up with the rate at which my mind throws those thoughts and words cloud. I’m a happier person today. I’ve never even bothered to use Notepad all these years and all of a sudden it’s my lifeline. I cannot write without Notepad when I’m trying to focus. The minimalist design ensures that my focus is just on writing. Such a win!

I then realised it’s not just about writing or speaking. It’s about allowing things of interest to take its own course without forcefully trying to carve a path for it. It’s about allowing certain things to remain the way it is and giving it space to go ahead with its flow. It’s about letting things be the way they are without trying to make them the way you want it to be. Because, you would notice that most of the time things are better taken care of by themselves, if we just go with the flow. It’s about focussing on the one thing that you want to get done at any point of time.

So next time before you do something, take a moment to reflect on whether you are interrupting or aiding the process. Because you never know the consequences of interrupting a child who wants to share his dream with you or interrupting a friend when she has an idea to share with you . You never know!

18 comments:

  1. Having been a trainer myself, I can relate to the situation when sudden interruption breaks the flow. As for blogging, I wasn't bothered by MS Word as I am bothered by Pages ever since I decided to pamper myself to a MacBook. Word atleast gave options, pages simply changes the word to the first option suggested, in case i ignore the suggestion and proceed. Often, i get bugged and my flow of thoughts is interrupted. So now, I directly draft in blogger. It gets autosaved and I can access from any device and complete the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you could relate to it. Been using a Mac for a while now and it's so comfortable using pages, without having any other app to bother me :-)

      Delete
  2. I am with you on this. After a few bitter experience, I have stopped giving hand outs of my presentation until I finish the presentation. Reason? The audience started to ask questions from page 8 or 10 while I was on page 2. It is worse if the audience is upper management.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the over enthusiastic ones spoil it for everyone by breaking the flow of the session.

      Delete
  3. I think when you are training someone in soft skills, your own soft skills are put to test and one important quality is knowing how to react when others are not reacting the way you want them to...Computers, notepad and Microsoft office are a lot easier I suppose :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that's true. All I'm asking is for some empathy :-)

      Delete
  4. I use Notepad too for writing my thoughts down. Recently, I added the Grammarly tool on my Google Chrome and it is also a pain - those red squiggles appear and just interrupt your flow. As a corporate trainer myself, I know what you go through when people don't even listen and just start firing questions at you - it's worse when they don't pay attention at the time when someone has asked the question, and later ask the same question again!

    These days, am thinking of completely boycotting technology and writing on good old-fashioned pen and paper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that is what irks me, just trying to sound intelligent by rephrasing a previous question or not being patient enough to allow us to complete.

      And I still believe pen and paper is still the best way to go, only problem is my hand starts aching after writing one sheet :-)

      Delete
  5. I am all for going with the flow.Sometimes we peep into the future,try to manipulate,while certain issues resolve automatically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and sometimes when we are busy looking into the future we lose the present flow :-)

      Delete
  6. Notepad is a savior for many an occassion:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happens to when i teach. These students that i have are so enthusiastic that sometimes i feel it's a bit too much. So many questions pop up even before i have finished explaining what i had planned. Now the end result? They end up getting the answers to a few points but the entire concept gets bounced off in the process. Same holds true for handing out notes.
    Now not everybody does it, but 2 or three such students are enough to break the chain of thoughts that goes on being tangled and untangled in the mind...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it. It's like short term goals are achieved (clarifying the student's doubts) but the long term goals aren't :-/

      Delete
  8. We are similar on one thing...When I am writing; I can go on and on and on...I wud prefer not to care about spellings or grammars or for that matter; the meaning of what I am writing. As, I am writing down what my mind says and if my mind is confused, so wud my writing too... Do visit my page and u wud understand what I mean. :) http://jzt4me.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Will definitely visit your blog :-)

      Delete
  9. :) I know the feeling, I was to do my first presentation here and I thought it would be a good idea to send handouts a couple of days prior so people can familiarise.. what a mistake , at one stage I got so confused myself .. I just stopped and did not know what to answer. Luckily my colleague was there to ask for a break..

    what a nightmare ..

    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! Sometimes things done with good intentions may come back to haunt us!

      Delete

I would love to hear from You!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...